View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pipe restoration questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
OK, so I purchased the stuff I need to restore, and have started on the project. Nothing like getting hands on to discover questions:

1. Should I wear gloves while doing this? I notice that I get brown crud all over my hands when cleaning stems/bowls with the Everclear- it does wash off, but don't want to be absorbing nicotine thru my skin if possible. Is this a concern, or will washing my hands an hour or so later negate any potential problems?

It's sulphurous oxidation; probably good for you.

2. I notice that when I run a wet cleaner thru the stem, it keeps coming out brown, even after ten or so cleaners.( Although less and less so) Is there a point where this becomes overkill, or do I need to get every last bit of brown outta there? I even soak the stems in Everclear, but the result is the same. I'd like to avoid the bleach soak if possible.

Bristle cleaners come in bags of 60 and 100.

3. How can I get rid of the tiny circle of crud right at the tip/nub of the stem? Nothing seems to get rid of this. Or is this really not necessary?

MicroMesh

4. Some of the pipes have the metal filters. I get these pretty clean, but not spotless like new. Is this good enough?

5. Are bite/teeth marks purely cosmetic, or do I need to sand these away for sanitary reasons?

I'm pretty happy with the results, maybe I'm being too anal about recovering a spotless pipe. Hopefully close will work here as well as it does in hand grenades, cause getting 'em close involves a lot of work- don't really know what else I could do to make 'em "new!"

Thanks for your help!
Comments in red, above.