View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
mariogolbee

Default Re: LSU Quiddich.....?

Devil's advocate reply. Disc golf, freestyle frisbee, quiddich, etc., all look lame if you are not playing them. I've never played either, but each of these sports has obviously gained momentum and become loved by many.

As far as the broom goes, I agree, they kind of look lame. However, they do add a mechanic to the game. They don't just have the broom in between their legs. They are also holding it with one hand. This limits their ability to catch and hinders movement to some degree. Many sports have some sort of limiting mechanic such as this. Besides, one team in one of those videos didn't use brooms. They just used varnished wooden poles. I'm sure they didn't want to trudge around on cheap-azz brooms, but still use the mechanic. The varnished wooden poles are shorter and don't look quite so cheesy, If they didn't have brooms or poles would it still be quiddich?

The game does look cheesy, but I'll bet you an Opus it's a chitload of fun when you're out there doing it. It also can't hurt to have one more way for folks to get into sports with the obesity epidemic we have here in the US. I know I should get off my azz right now and go play...something.