View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #59
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: I'm Looking For A Good Southern Biscuits & Gravy Recipe

Right proportion of flour to grease? I do this by eye. I almost always have to pour off at least half the grease (unless you want a really big pot of gravy!!). If the flour is NOT all absorbed, then, too much flour (this can easily be corrected by adding back some of the grease you pour off at the front-end - if you saved it!). If too runny, add more flour. Do this step over medium heat only!! Do not use Brad's "speed-cook" method unless you are an expert at gravy making! Brad is right in that this is only for the experts. And, if you can successfully pull this method off, you don't need this thread!

The gravy will NOT be lumpy if you cook the flour/grease to a non-lumpy stage and follow the rest of the method instructions! The benefit of medium heat is that you can easily adjust your flour/grease ratio while cooking/stirring, and NOT risk burning your flour. Cooking the flour for at least 5 minutes ALSO results in cooking the flour taste out of the mixture. Otherwise, you taste the flour, and not the sausage. That's another reason that roux's is done over an extended period. It cooks OUT the flour taste.

Once you have your flour and grease cooked and smooth, the next step is critical to avoid lumps. You have to have a contrast in temperatures. Hot roux, cold milk and/or water. You have to have this contrast. Turn the heat up to near high, keep the liquid in the fridge until time to use. Pour in enough liquid on the first pour to give yourself plenty, and time to mix it in, and be ready to add more liquid before the mixture in the pan turns to jello! The reason that cast iron pans work so well for gravy, is because they retain heat well, and you do not have to spend great time in bringing the pan back up to heat. The down side is that the gravy will "lock-up" quickly if you do not add enough milk at the start. I start with milk, with water as a second pour, then finish with milk. Remember that the gravy will NOT reach full consistency until it reaches a boil. So, you have the ability to play with the gravy a bit. If it looks too thin initially, just keep stirring, and give it time. I most often end up adding more liquid after the initial boil, so don't fret if it seems to thin initially!

Add the crumbled sausage to the gravy, and let it simmer on low heat for a few minutes will also enhance the sausage taste of the gravy. And, you can always stir in a little more liquid if it starts to thicken more than you desire.

Enjoy the cholesterol!! I know I do!!