View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: need some opinions....

My situation is different than yours. I'm 23, still live with my parents (I call them "older room mates"), and have no major obligations aside from basic living expenses.

That being said, in March I quit a full time, salaried position with full benefits for a lesser paying, part time, no benefits internship with another company.

I hated my previous job. I was saddled with an unneccesarily large amount of work (when I told them this the response was "but you're doing fine! just keep going!"), I rarely worked less than 55 hours a week, and I went home angry with my situation every day. I was looking up the corporate ladder and knew that I had no chance to advance for at least 10 years (barring an someone quitting a cushy job (not gonna happen) or dying unexpectedly).

Quitting that job and accepting lesser pay and no benefits was the best decision I've made yet. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

(For full disclosure, with the recent healthcare changes, I was able to get onto my parents benefits. I took a prestige and a paycut for a happier workplace.)

My view on it is that you are spending at least 40 hours a week there out of 168 hours in a week. 1/4th of each week (really 1/3rd when you factor in sleep) is spent at work. If you feel neglected, stuck in a rut, or saddened by your workplace you really owe it to yourself to find something else to do. If you can find a place where you can still fulfill financial obligations and be happier/more content/more motivated, you should do it!

Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote