View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #17
BillyCigars

Default Re: Anybody attending the Seattle Cigar Expo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
Which, by the way, where the heck was CRA when the WA state law to outlaw cigar smoking in public places was on the ballot and eventually passed..?? Crickets, from where I sit......
The WA state smoking ban was enacted in 2005. Cigar Rights of America wasn't even founded until 2008...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott
I have thought about it, but the expense is kind of killing it for me. I have been to events like this for other industries, and I suspect it is basically an advertising event for the cigar makers. If that is the case, entry fees should be lower so that they can hand out more sticks to more people and get their product out there. I don't really want to subsidize their ad event.
Hi Mychal! It's actually not an adertisement for manufacturers at all. It was designed as a grand event for Seattle cigar smokers to congregate on one day and support the grassroots CRA organization. They need support from manufacturers, cigar smokers, retailers, etc. If none of the manufacturers could be bothered to support the cause and/or attend, how many of us - the general cigar smoking public - would bother coming?

It's obviously a great cause - certainly to get an event like this in Seattle city limits proper, and right underneath the Space Needle to boot. You can't imagine the hurdles that the organizers of this event have had to jump through. I mean, it's not only WA state; it's Seattle/King County. I digress.

I'm obviously a little biased here since I'll be there but this is already looking better than a Big Smoke. General Admission tickets for the Big Smoke in Vegas (no weekend seminars, just the rushed, cram packed, 3-hour cattle line) runs $250. You get a bunch of cigars, maybe something to nosh on, hopefully a tilt or 2 of some bourbon or scotch, and then you're whisked out the door.

And actually for me to compare the 2 isn't fair because it's apples and oranges. The Seattle expo provides a 6 hour time frame, comfortable leather seating areas, a chance to mingle, enjoy yourself, catch some entertainment, take part in supporting a worthwhile cause while we still can before we all end up circling the legislative drain as cigar smokers, the ability to sample some of the finest food from the top restaurants in Seattle, an assortment of stellar cigars, a whole bunch of great wines and liquors to try, seminars and speakers, an opportunity to talk with manufacturers, etc. But the magic that those outside of WA state likely aren't able to fully appreciate is - it's happening in downtown Seattle

I don't mean to come off like I'm trying to sell tickets or anything. Just wanted to help clarify a couple points. Hope to see some of you there!