View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #1609
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What cigar did you smoke today VI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
How was the Don Carlos? I had one a few months ago that had about 5 years of age on it and it was absolutely fantastic. Wondering how one that extensively aged held up.
These '97s have '86 tobacco in them and were given to my friend here in Boston. They aren't as straightforward, slightly sweet, nutty, and creamy as the '04-'08 Don Carlos I have, but are leaps more complex. I think what is happening is that the enveloping feel of the Cameroon dies out after some time, and you taste more of the aged Dominican tobacco.

The old variety have a feel of vintage Tainos in them, with weird bouquets of tropical fruit and citrus, but obviously the aftertaste isn't Cuban. It's not luscious or lingering. It is still NC, and has the respective finish, of whichever variety - in this case, the aging and expiring tastes of Cameroon and Dominican. To me, the typical Dominican characteristic is its tobacco bitterness, sweetness masked by leathery, full-on tannins - not to be confused with Nicaraguan metallic sharp - and here it has turned into a blend of tropical fruits and citrus (think Opus X, and how mid '90s ones taste like Ramon Allones on steroids). The Cameroon usually imparts a feel that is warm, rich, and enveloping - nutty, earthy, and creamy. Unfortunately, I think the Cameroon traits have unfortunately devolved to dusty, slightly watery (bell pepper) taste.

Last edited by mk05; 09-03-2014 at 11:22 PM.