View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: NCs that don't age well?

Thinking about this I'm wondering if it might be a problem of expectations. What I mean is, I think that the flavors, and boldness of non Cuban cigars is greater than Cubans. So as they mellow, we still eexpect the bold and aggressive flavors they had, so it just gives the impression they're going flat, flavorless. Maybe what really needs to happen, is that they need to be puffed on in a more gentle manner searching for the more subtle flavors.

For example there was the complaint about a Padron 64 going flat. I have never had that experience. In fact there was an eighteen-year-old Padron 64 that was absolutely incredible. Yes, some of the flavors were much more subdued, however the complexity was off the charts.

I raise this as a possibility because of what I have seen with cigar smokers trying to add pipe smoking to their tobacco enjoyment lifestyle. Rarely is there a cigar smoker who does not think that the pipe produces flavorless smoke. When smoking a pipe, one needs to puff slowly, concentrate, and consider the subtle nuances in the smoke. There are incredible flavors to be found in the pipe, but it does not produce the volume, nor the strength of cigar smoke.

Could it be that the flavors in aged NC is more like the pipe? We expect them to be stronger, but they are not Emma but the nuances are there if we but let them shine and look for subtlety.

Peace of the Lord be with you