Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: Any Sirius/XM Gurus?

They have a weird business plan that apparently works for them but one I won't deal with. After they get your CC data they automatically renew your subscription for the rest of your life at their standard rate, once your "special rate" expires. That's why they want your CC. The only way to stop the automatic renewal is to call them just prior to the expiration of your special and either cancel or do the dance to get a better rate. And they make it as difficult as possible if you call later to cancel. If you forget, Bam! They count on people forgetting to call and then either not caring or not paying attention to the charges once the regular rate kicks in. My subscription expired a couple years ago and I constantly get special offers good for 5 or 6 months at a discounted rate, if I just give them my CC. Not a game I'm interested in playing.

Some people (with more patience than me) sign up for the 5 or 6 month specials and then call just prior to the expiration to negotiate for another 5 or 6 months. They set reminders on their calendars and are willing to spend the time calling and renegotiating.

With taxes and fees their standard monthly rate is a lot higher than the service is worth to me. Last time I looked I think it came out to around $20 monthly. If they'd give me the couple of stations I'd listen to for, say, eight bucks a month total I'd do it. Instead they add on all these extra fees and obligate you to the auto renewal thing. Reminds me of the old "get 10 albums for 99 cents and agree to buy only four more at our regular price" deal of days past.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote