View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally Built a Cigar Lounge!

As with the bar, I thought I was going to be able to fit more seating in the space. Spatial recognition is not my strong suit. In the end, I dropped the idea that a love seat would fit in the lounge on top of the chairs of sofa already in there. The furniture line did not have a recliner as part of their offering, and I very much see an ottoman in my future.

The accoutrements around the room are a smattering of things I’ve collected over the years thinking “someday this will look great in a cigar lounge” to auction lots I’ve won here and on other boards to gifts from some amazing friends.

This is what you see walking down the basement stairs. We had the painter extend the red from the room partially into the unfinished space. A heavy curtain closes off the unfinished space at the bottom of the stairs to the left. The door to the cigar lounge is on the right.

Picked this up in Cuba last November

Many of you will fondly remember this guy …

The one thing for which I will absolutely take credit is this ceiling mural of a 1600’s map of Cuba. It is my pièce de résistance!

When the contractor was building out the space, he created soffits around the perimeter of the TV area of the lounge in order to better incorporate the center support beam that needed to be boxed in. This created a faux recessed ceiling effect, and he lined it with crown molding, but I was left staring at big blank ceiling space. Was looking around online for ideas and ran across a site that produces murals on artist canvas that get hung much in the same way one hangs wallpaper. Originally, I was going to do some kind of Cuban flag motif until I found an image of this map. I loved the aged look of the thing like where it’s faded on one end but not the other owing to how it must have been folded. I was able to find a hi-res image of the file on a photography website, and mural company did a nice job of printing it on to the canvas. They also worked with my wallpaper hanger to make sure he had all the info necessary to put it up because while it’s similar to hanging wallpaper, there are some differences. In the end, I love it as it adds a dramatic touch that really pulls the whole room together and screams cigar lounge.

Lots of little punch list items I need to work through, but I wanted to share this with you all. I will say, and as some can attest, the room does get quite smoky with 6-7 guys in it puffing away on cigars for two or three hours. One of the many things that need to be adjusted, but overall, I’m pretty happy with the room. Need to take a bit of breather before I have the walk-in finished, but I see many hours of enjoyment to come.