View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #346
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy PP View Post
I'm happy you just said that, because I just picked up a cob pipe and some captain black cherry... The smell of the tobacco was almost overwhelming, I assumed the taste of all of that cherry would make me want to puke... But I could hardly even taste it. I could taste it a little at first then it just started tasting like crap. My mouth tastes like I just licked an ash tray.

I also forgot to get pipe cleaners. And I'm using a 308 winchester case to tamp(don't worry, its been fired... And its fresh out of my case tumbler, so its clean)... And it also went out every time I went to tamp.

I also burnt the hell out of the top of the bowl... Good thing the pipe only cost $4. I almost opted for the $20 one, but I kept all of your opinions in mind, and for those I thank you all

-Jimmy PP
DISCLAIMER: I'm not even at the level of "young fart" yet. Greenhorn, wet behind the ears, those are more fitting descriptions

Having been where you are Jimmy, keep at it. It took me a few months, but I finally learned to load the pipe in such a way that it stays lit part of the time and only needs tamped a few times. And I got a eel for what kinds of tobacco work and don't. And well... the world just starts lining up for you ... until then, keep at it, it doesn't take long to get there.

I'll leave the wet aromatic tobacco bit and any other actual advice for an old fart to touch on, just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement that it will get much better fairly quickly.