View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Humidor Build Idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Well, the plastic tubes are close to the solution I was thinking of, and probably a lot more practical and readily available. I was thinking about the glass tubes some of my sticks come in! I'd imagine plastic tubes cheaper, easier to find! I'd think simple nylon webbed straps would work fine. Elastic would tend to try to make it close all the time.
main issue is how to get the straps to fold IN, instead of out. Maybe "pre-crease" each one between each tray with a hot iron, in a very limited area, so they would be predisposed to fold inward? Given nylon's melt factor, it probably wouldn't take much heat, and some trial and error should give you the right process quickly.
Ya know, Cliff, you made me think that something like a sink chain would do the trick. I imagined it just like you did, nylon string piling up and getting in the way. Some kind of chain would fall straight down.
I was thinking about this in the shower and the tubes would be fine for a travel humi, but it'd very much cut down on how many cigars a guy could get in there. The cool factor would make up for that, and the extra protection, but I don't know how many tubes would fit in a 12x9x6 travel humi. Not more than 30, I wouldn't think. Maybe less.
I wouldn't be able to resize this kind of setup as easily as I initially thought, either.
Still, the parts and pieces could be easily made on the CNC and I can shorten them to fit with minimum trouble.
It may be worth messing around with, at least a prototype frame. If I can make that work, then I can commit. If it becomes too much trouble, I can toss it all in the trash.