View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How do you like your meerschaum?

I have had excellent luck with one meer (of three) and it's a wonderful pipe. More or less ghostless, it is perfect for trying anything new; it presents a very clear idea of what's what with any tobacco.

This meer has a stout, well fitted case so it is my main travel pipe. I can take one pipe and smoke about anything. Meers don't get soggy and they tend to smoke cool. YMMV. Many are made/sold with restricted airways and skanky little push-pull fittings. Those guys tend to be gurglers.

Shop for a brand VERY carefully and talk to a resident meer wizard before making a move. Meer lovers will set you right. Wrong meer sucks. The right meer is a goll-danged practically perfect pipe. Also - a meer carved to look like a charging rhino or nudes making love with snakes can have an appeal that wears off quickly after the sale. Consider a classic shape like skulls and bayonets - I mean, like a bulldog or billiard - is my humble advice.