View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Thick, Crispy Bacon Thread

I guess I'm just a poster child for poor eating habits! I prefer my bacon about 40-50% fat. Just love the crisp of the fat. But then again, I also fry the fat from fresh ham to a crispy state and eat it out of the frying pan.

Being from the south, and being my momma's boy, I use a large non-stick pan about half the time, simply to collect the grease for later cooking needs. When I have enough grease put back, I have a big griddle that takes the place of two burners on the Jenn-Aire that allows me to cook about a pound of bacon at a time. After cooking, I can de-glaze the griddle and it's ready to go again.

I don't usually eat the bacon straight from the pan, Dan, but I have been known to let it sit about long enough to just touch the paper drain towel

I used to love Hormel Black Label, but they started putting so much sugar in the process that it became almost impossible to fry to a crisp state without it burning the sugars black. I'm a bargain price hunter, but I check the inspection window on EVERY package I buy (yes, I'm the one mangling all those packages of bacon). If it's on sale, and it passes the test for lean to fat desires, and isn't all crooked and jacked up, I will buy a dozen packages at a time.