View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #57
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Packer fan thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
My point was there is only so much that the ball can be spread around. I'm not sure Lynch would have had as many chances to score. We score from outside the red zone as much or more as inside the red zone, and we've got 4 from Kuhn and 1 from Raji to go along with the 3 from Starks and Grant.
That's 8 to Lynch's 9.
I wouldn't care if he scores touchdowns or not. I want a guy who can come in and move the chains to protect the lead and protect the defense. But for the sake of, "argument" (nobody of course is arguing) I'd simply counter with these two things:

1. 24 of Rodgers 39 touchdown passes this season have occurred in the red zone (not to mention his two rushing touchdowns)
2. Lynch has scored 9 rushing touchdowns (and one receiving touchdown) on a terrible offense. Not a stretch to think he could exceed those numbers in Green Bay (if needed).
Quote:
Not saying he wouldn't have been an improvement, but there's only so many touches available.
Marshawn Lynch has 225 carries this season. Grant/Starks have a combined 229. I think the Packers would've been able to find a respectable number of touches for him. Further, it was brought up earlier about the salary cap. If the Packers trade for Lynch last season, the Packers aren't paying Grant this season, saving the team a net $1.5 million.
Quote:
Then who's to say what he does to the chemistry of the team. I like what Ted's building from within.
Mr. Thompson's done a wonderful job, but he's far from infallible. He's done a poor job evaluating and drafting defensive line talent (save Raji, who fell in his lap) and hasn't done a lot with the linebacking corps, either. It's also my opinion (again, just my opinion) that he missed the boat with Lynch, which was further evidenced by him spending yet another early pick on a runningback this year (Brandon Jackson and now Alex Green). If anything, he's taken careful note to make sure that he doesn't make the same mistakes his predecessors did; having a stud quarterback but not providing him with weapons or decent protection (see: Favre, Brett).
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote