YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: On-line back-up options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Opinions - I see no need for on-line providers, as they could be hacked as easily as any other website. I know they say they're safe, etc., but having my hands on my own backup means a lot to me. I use Time Machine with a 1 TB ($75) on my Mac as a backup. It worked great when I bought a new Mac last summer. All my stuff from the old Mac was put on the new computer and I hit the ground running like nothing ever happened. If was as effortless a process as I could imagine.
I'm with you, Brother. Not a huge fan of "cloud" storage.

Time Machine is nice. I leave it on and it does incremental backups every hour. I know some folks who use it but only turn it on every few weeks/months and manually run a backup.

The only "drawback in our approach is that if a disaster (fire, earthquake, flood, etc.) hit or a burglary, an in-hand backup is of little use. I am in the process of manually backing up important docs, pictures, music, and movies to one of my external drives and either giving it to a friend or placing it my safe deposit box. Every month or two, I plan on retrieving it and updating as needed.