View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #58
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I'm Looking For A Good Southern Biscuits & Gravy Recipe

The trick to adding flour to grease is to add less than you think would make it thick and lumpy and stir and chop with the
edge of the spatula until it is smooth and thickly runny. That probably is worse, but if you stir like a madman, you can
get it there no problem. In fact, I would say that it's a ratio of 1:1....for every teaspoon of grease you think
is in the pan, add a teaspoon of flour. But based on what you say goes wrong everytime, I'd say add half of
the flour you think it needs and stir it down and add a little more til it get's "thickly runny". That presents a bit
of a heat problem, I SPEED-cook a roux in about 40 seconds. My mom takes 30 minutes. I go fast because
I know about how much flour I want to use by eye. In order to get your proportions right and still have time to
add the right amount before it overheats, you need to heat slowly. Once it gets the consistency of syrup,
FIRE IT UP...Only use the milk to STOP the process dead when it's the right color and temp, which is brown
and HOT, lol. Then just slowly cook the milk out, or the liquid, so to speak.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote