CdnStogie
Fooore!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
RyJ
CdnStogie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Properly Seasoning a New Humidor

For those of you who use beads -

I picked up some HF 65% beads last week and threw them into my humidor. I was using PG solution prior to this.

Long story short, 2 days later my humidity was at 59%. Thinking perhaps it was my digital hygro that is built into the humidor (no calibration) I went out and bought another digi and calibrated it. It read 60%.

Took out the beads, put back in my PG and over the next day or so it went back up to 68% which is where it was typically staying....

Question is, what do you think in regards to the beads? Perhaps I have a error and received the 60% instead? I did some looking and noticed that I do have a gap in my seal... But why was the PG holding steady?

Over the weekend I went out and bought some aquarium sealant and sealed off around the hygro, glass top and around the seal of the humi with saran wrap to stop it from catching on both sides of the lid, left it open for two days to let the smell leave and now in the middle of re-seasoning.

Trying to debate if I should fire off an email sooner than later to HF industries saying the beads are registering 60% or, if the better portion of you feel it is because of the leaking.

Thoughts?

In regards to the seasoning w/ wipe down. I did this a couple months ago when I received the humidor (directions told me to) and had no ill effects. This time though I decided to not wipe down and just place the bowl in the humi....

My tupperdor though is set up and holding steady. I do not think it has left 70-71% since they went in on Friday!

Final point I want to make is/question - ever since I started buying cigars for keeping them I have picked up OCD... I check them regularly hahaha.. I looked at one last night - at 70% humidity, should you hear a slight crunching noise? I know at 60% I could hear it, and personally I didn't like the taste/burn, but could have been the cigar as well... I have a second one I am wanting to try to see what the difference is in 60% vs 70%, but to me it tasted like burning leaves at 59-60%
CdnStogie is offline   Reply With Quote