Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
SurfnSafari
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
SurfnSafari has disabled reputation
Default Re: Heartfelt Bead high humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Besides throwing in the beads -- what else did you do to the humidor to try to bring it back? If you wiped it down with distilled water, for example, it could be the humi is over-humidified, and the beads have not yet had time to absorb the excess moisture.

Honesty my old heart misses beats when I hear the words "whip it down with distilled water". Reason is warpage, or warping, and people tend to use too wet a rag, or paper towel. Don't want to warp your good humidor.

Simple solution to seasoning a new, or old humidor that needs seasoned is to place like a clean plastic tupperware type container, clean cool whip container in the humidor. Empty first to check and see the lid will close with out striking lid. Also clean old plastic water bottles can be cut down to size so when the lid is closed, the top of lid clears container bu 1/2" -1".

Then remove the plastic containers, fill with clean distilled water. Replace in humidor, and give it 24 - 36 hours. If water level goes down repete the process filling, and reach check in another 24 - 36 hours.

After 3 - 5 days you should see the water level not moving. Then place a RH humidity gague (hydrometer) that has been calibrated, check in 24 hour without playing peek-a-boo. This just slows down the seasoning process, allowing humidity to escape.

This process is slow, but it works. For small desktop humidor Boveda make 84% seasoning packs, that take about one pack for each 25 capacity of the humidor. So a 100 count humidor will take 4 packs, and about two weeks time to season.

I am a big fan of Boveda, and recharge then in a glass jar with good rubber seal use the cut down water bottle method inside the jar. In the summer it take maybe 7 days for the Boveda to go from rock hard, to like new condition. The rehydrate feeding off the distilled water in the cut down bottle.

JMHO
SurfnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote