View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My new project, I am building a smoker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Wow, that looks pretty. What did it look like before? And what did you use to sand it down with?
It was a veggie oil barrel, it was completely black on the outside, and painted tan on the inside (might not have been paint might have been some other kinda liner)

1st I got 4 bundles of firewood from the local grocery store. An burned it really hot and really big...once the fire started burning good I just threw in a whole bundle and then when it would go down I would put in more wood...that thing was shooting flames about as high as my roof. (my wife says I am a pyro )

2nd I used 60 grit sand paper on a hand held sander, it was curved on oneside and flat on the other. I used the curved side for the inside and it worked like a champ...the inside was easier to sand than the outside. I would hit each section twice with the 60 grit..the fire had burned off quite a bit of the paint in the bottom two sections.

3rd after I did two go arounds with the 60 grit I did one go round with 220, that really cleaned up anything the 60 left behind.

Last I did the bottom with my orbital sander, it was a breeze...I tried the sander on the rest and it just didn't work too swell. I imagine if you had a belt sander it would rule on the outside!