View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj23 View Post
Great post. As for the grind for moka - my burr grinder has 18 different settings. Where along those 18 would you expect moka grind to be? I suppose I just need a place to start, then try finer and coarser from there till I get a better feel for it.
If you already make espresso, the scope is broader and the grind can be somewhat more coarse to give best results (heaps of crema is my idea of best results). Your test for best grind goes like this:

- pack the filter snug & domed and screw the top on so tight that it doesn't leak anything - not even a hint of vapor. If:

a) water comes whipping through the post, the grind is too coarse; or
b) if the safety valves blows and spews a mess all over the kitchen, the grind is too coarse

Me? I like living on the edge. I always go right to the exploding mokapot setting then reset the grinder one notch more coarse and try again. After a few tries of getting it right you have a feel for the grind. Fine, but not too fine.