View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #26
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Budget wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Calm down gang. It is, unfortunately, common for some to stomp all over a thread that they deem inferior or something like that. Those people come and go and those who have been here for a while learn that not every post in a thread will be wanted or appreciated. The more you feed their ego by drawing attention to their games, the longer they will stay. Just as it is good sense to ignore the loud mouth at the bar and let the management deal with them, so it is here.
Please remind me, did I miss your illuminating wine related posts elsewhere?

As opposed to a bunch of mine, discussing and recommending wines AT ALL PRICE POINTS, in a number of threads. So, as trolling goes, look in the mirror...
I was simply asking and commenting. Because time and again we see threads upon threads of people chasing HIGH PRICED cigars and yet all we see is threads based on LOW PRICE wines. For someone above equating pleasure quotient of wine versus cigar all I can say is that even the largest cigar is no more than what, 3+ hours of pleasure, yet a bottle of wine can deliver pleasure over 2-3 days if need be. Some, like sherries, can stay open for years and deliver great pleasure for that long. Where does price come into this equation?

As much as I tell people to drink (and smoke) what they like I, basically, would rather drink good beer than bad wine, and plain water rather bad beer. Many of the wines mentioned in these "cheap wine" threads are barely wine, many are simply chemical concoctions. Many use oak by-products and food/color additives to cover bad fruit. Thus, my usual questions as to why one would demand pure tobacco and yet subject his internals to chemical crap. I say stick to beer instead (or whatever your other beverage of choice may be).

Those of you above who immediately lumped me into the "only high price products" category obviously know nothing about me. I always look for value, and yes, sometimes that value can actually be a higher priced product. And many a time price is the true measuring stick, low price means low quality. Yeah, I know, a novel concept to most of you in the thread (sorry for sarcasm).

So, how many drive a Yugo? Or cheapest,20 year old Hiunday/Nissan? Why not?

All I see is threads upon threads on Tats/DPG/Viaje/etc/etc/etc, almost never threads on cheapest bundles from Famous/CI/second tier/third tier cigars that are in same league, quality wise, as many of the wines discussed.

But hey, its your liver, (ab)use it any way you want.

For the record, depending on the batch and varietal I would take a 2 Buck Chuck over many of the wines mentioned.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote