View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #103
SilverFox

Default Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaRoadking View Post
Would it be safe to assume that if I freeze 100% of everything that is put into my standard non-cooled humidor cabinet, that my everyday storage temperature would not be nearly as big of a concern? I also live in Florida and do not want to spend the $$ to keep the house at 70 Degrees all day. The temperature while I'm at work will raise to about 77-78 during the day.
It would be safe to assume that you would not have an issue from beetles.

I don't know if there are any other issues with regard to slightly higher temperature storage. I know that mold spores grow better in warmer situations so that may be a concern even if maintaining 65% RH.

Also based on reading it seems there is common conjecture that higher temperatures accelerate the ageing process of a cigar (the ongoing fermentation of the leaves). This is more the case in Cuban cigars but I am sure can be an issue in Non Cubans as well. I am not sure if accelerated ageing (especially in the small increment that would occur due to that temperature variant) would be negative.

In my opinion (nothing really factual) your cigar storage is similar to wine storage. If you are in the range of acceptability then you are ok, it is large fluctuations in both RH and Temperature that cause issues.

On the freezing, given that that your storage conditions are a little warmer it wouldn't hurt to extend your freezing times slightly to ensure full mortality of any beetle eggs, larvae, pupae etc. As I have mentioned before I freeze everything in my collection and have had no beetles since taking on this practice and had zero impact on my cigars.

Hope that helps