Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Adam, can you enlighten me on the cooking benefits of a short throw?
My understanding is that the short throw is to alleviate jams inside the auger tube.
My new Memphis Elite has a short throw, and vastly outperforms my old Traeger, but I just assumed that was based on build quality and the far superior ITC temperature control.
Curious to learn more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
I’m not even sure what that means (short throw vs long throw) ? I’m a novice at best with this stuff.
E.J. - it's just the length of the tube. The Traeger has the firepot in the center and the Yoder has it on the left side. The term is very literal. One has a long auger one has a short auger for feeding pellets.

I probably should have asked the question differently and that is if there is any difference that you noticed in having the firepot on the side rather than centered.

Dom, you're probably right, it's just better build and better controllers. Where I live it's dry and I've never had a jam, but if that's all that short throw gets you, then it's a non issue to me. I have had a burn back or two partially through the auger on mine, but I think that is a problem with shutdown programming or components.

The reason I'm asking about the short throws is that I'm debating about picking up a Louisiana Grills LG-700 that is 50% off on clearance at a local store. I just replaced the fan, auger motor and ignitor on my camp chef, but the controller is acting odd at times. I suppose I could get a new controller, but for $150 more, I can just get a second grill.

Like I need another smoker...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote