YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gin Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby4781 View Post
I'm glad I came across this thread today! I'm not a big gin drinker but have wanted to dive further into it. I have enjoyed GNT's for years when I'm out with the wife but never really cared or specified what brand of gin to use. From what I have read it seem like for those you can use pretty much anything. I really want to try more martinis. Are there acceptable and unacceptable gins to use for martinis? Also, could anyone be so kind as to steer me in the direction for a decent all-purpose gin or for that matter one I should try right away?
You can get away with using cheaper liquor when mixing in cocktails. However, using a higher end liquor will make a much tastier cocktail.

My favorite, everyday gin is New Amsterdam. I can get a 1.5L for $18-$20. And it is good enough to drink in a martini.

If you are starting out with martinis, I suggest New Amsterdam, Tanqueray, Beefeater and/or Bombay. I would not use the cheapo brands of gin.

If you have a question about a specific gin, feel free to post about it here or PM me.