Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough
Default Sam Gawith 1792 Flake

I was at the B&M in Stevens Point on Monday after work and was browsing through the selections. I was looking a non-aromatic tin that wasn't on the steep side. Pickins were slim. I thought I would give this tin a shot.

I lit up a bowl of this about 30 minutes ago. The tin aroma is very pungunt and kind of chocolaty. Apparently there is a tonquin topping. Tonquin is some sort of bean grown in England and Brazil. I had never heard of this until reading about this tobacco and searching for it on the "google machine."

This is billed as a full flavored tobacco. It certainly does have a great deal of flavor. The ad copy online says this is Sam Gawith's best selling blend. It burns well, The tobacco was quite wet when I opened the tin. I rubbed out a bowl or twos worth on a paper towel and allowed this to dry for a little over an hour. The tobacco was still a little too moist for my liking, but my bedtime is getting closer as the minute's pass. There is no time to lose!

I selected my bent sandblast briar that I typically use for aromatics. Being as though I don't smoke aromatics with regularity this pipe hasn't seen much action. I lit, tamped, lit again and again to get this bowl started proper.

So far, this is a very interesting smoke. It's sweet, pretty much a one note experience so far, but enjoyable. I'm not sure if the tonquin treatment is "my bag" as of yet. I'm going to smoke a few bowls and see how it suits my fancy or has a place in the regular rotation.

From what I have read this is said to be a very nicotine strong blend. I'm not really buzzed up at this point half way down the bowl. My mouth is a tad numb and there is a certain degree of "easy chair lock" or "couch lock" as we used to call it in the college days. I'm quite content to sit here and ponder the day with a can of Squirt by my side.

When I smoke flakes, I expect to perform additional maintenance during the smoke. The bowl has needed surprisingly little attention. I smoked half way down before the pipe went out from neglect. This blend produces a great deal of smoke. Besides a tad of mouth numbing I don't detect any "bite" while smoking this tobacco.

I'm now in the last third and I feel the nicotine kick to the pants. It's right on that fine line of good buzz and overwhelming. I'll report back when I've finished the bowl!
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote