View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #72
Grumbles
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Grumbles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Thick, Crispy Bacon Thread

I am a serious bacon lover... I usually don't mind what kind I buy, because in my opinion it's all about how you cook it...

I don't like my bacon too crispy...firm would be a better word with a bit of stiffness to it, but I love chewy bacon!!! When I shop for bacon I probably piss off the poor meat aisle workers... feel free to ask ToddziLLa, who I cook for on occasion, I literally inspect the whole section looking for a good meat to fat ratio.... that's one key. The marble, if you will, can be great on some trips and others just so so.

Cooking it is the key, as I said earlier. I am a big fan of black pepper, so I put a lot of it on my bacon. The temperature of the stove is what counts most for bacon how I like it. On most stoves that means just under medium heat. I can fill up the pan and it still turns out ok now days... at first I didn't cook too much at once.

I drain mine on paper towels as most of you all do, but I don't remove it. As I take bacon off the stove I pile it in a mound over the existing. This helps keep the bottom dwellers from drying out too much and cooling down....

SO that's my bacon story... hopefully one day I can cook you guys a big mess of it at a herf.

Ben
Grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote