View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to get started smoking pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
4. Find a drug- or grocery store (or go online) and get a pouch of Carter Hall, Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh and/or a pouch of Captain Black or, really, any other thing you want. The deal with CH, PA or SWR is predictability. We've all smoked it and we all know what it does so, if you have a problem, we can sort it out in seconds. It is also generally available, not expensive and tastes good.
I agree with your entire post except #4. CH, PA, and SWR are why I almost didn't get into pipe smoking. I suffered through them and hated every minute of it.

I do believe a burley isn't a bad place to start, and agree that staying away from Aromatics is a great idea.

But for tobacco, get a better burley. Or better yet, go to Cornell & Diehl and get a sampler pack from them. Take the Patty Tarler, she's a sweetheart. Have her hook you up with a couple burleys, an aromatic without much PG, a light English, an easy smoking Virginia and a VA w/Perique, and than an oriental.

But, that's just my opinion.

Peace of the Lord be with you.