View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dutch Oven cooking

Here is a quick recipe that my kids (and my scouts) always went nuts over!

Pizza Hot Dish

Ingredients:
2 packages crescent rolls
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 jar pizza sauce
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1½ pounds ground beef

Preparation:
Brown ground beef, drain. Line Dutch oven with 1 package of crescent rolls.
Spread pizza sauce on dough. Add browned beef, the cheeses and use second package of rolls to form a top crust. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

SvilleKid notes:

If crescent rolls are allowed to warm up some, they will be easier to spread. Bring roll crust up side of oven a couple of inches, and you can bring top layer of rolls down to match. This will form a solid crust, and make oven easier to clean later.

Spray inside of oven with spray oil before you begin. Helps a lot.

Use your imagination on fillings. I include pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, olives........ You get the picture! But, don't get it more than about 2-3 inches thick if you want the middle done. I always added one bag of cheese on top of the pizza sauce, then the second bag on top of all the toppings before I put on the top layer of rolls.

I have found that name brand Crescent rolls (Pillsbury) work the best.

6-8 coals under the bottom is PLENTY! I load the top up with 25-30. This is a baking dish, with the bottom coals mainly to rise and cook the dough bottom. More coals on the bottom WILL result in the bottom crust burning.

Incidentally, I have several dutch oven recipe books in .doc format. Would be happy to email them to those interested. PM me an email address