View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
SirMoby

Default Re: Dutch Oven cooking

I'm using my dutch oven right now to make family chili. I call it "family chili" because it's a different recipe when my wife and 5 year old daughter are going to be eating it.

1 lbs pinto beans socked over night
3 lbs chuck stew beef
3 carrots (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
3 stalks celery (chopped)
1 big or 2 medium onions (chopped)
1 32 oz can tomatoes
3 to 4 T of chili powder
1.5 T fresh ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder (not salt)
1 tsp thyme
1 - 2 tsp smoked paprika
1 favorite beer or any leftover wine that you have
1 qt beef or chicken stock
3 heaping T corn starch

Brown the meat in your dutch oven with a little salt. Don't add pepper or chili powder as those burn. Just brown the eat for flavor. It will cook later and I usually do 3 batches in my 7.5 quart dutch oven.

Saute all the veggies (except the canned tomatoes) on high heat. If they get a little brown then that's good.

Push the veggies aside so there's room in the middle. Add 1T of oil in the cleared center then add your cumin and other spices. Let cook for a minute then add the meat and the soaked beans and stir.

Add your beer or leftover wine (red or white) and let it cook down a couple of minutes. Then add the stock - do NOT add the tomatoes yet (the acid will keep the beans from softening). Bring everything to a simmer and put it in the over at 275 degrees.

Cook for 2 or 3 hours stirring every 60 to 90 minutes. When it's almost down, mix the corn starch with a cup of water and add it the chili along with the tomatoes. Let it cook for another 15 to 60 minutes and serve.