View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: need advice on handling a student...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
this kid has had a real hard life... I had a student come into my office just now, 5 hours before they have to be here and told me he was going to be late because his uncle was coming home for a visit from rehab for an hour today and he asked if that was ok. I said yes, he then gave me the back story on why he wanted to see his uncle.

He told me his dad was on drugs since he was 8, went to jail, his uncle raised him, went to jail, grandfather took over, died, dad came back from jail, back on drugs, uncle just oded and his dad maybe getting charged with homocide and is really back into drugs again...he's 15 and I want to help the kid but I don't know how. Any other teachers on right now willing to lend me a hand or anyone in general want to give me pointers? Everything I'm thinking just rings hollow to me....oh he's 15
I have a few students in my classes who are in similar situations. I teach low performing students who live in a low socioeconomic area. I really don't know what advice to give you. Each situation is different. For some students, I would get guidance involved; in other situations, I wouldn't. You hate to betray a student's trust, but sometimes the right thing is to let the administration get involved and contact the social services department in your area.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote