View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #544
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
So after trying to slow season my humidor for the last three weeks, I have nothing to show for it. As soon as I take the shot glass out, the humidity plummets within days. I am assuming I have a leak, as it is a glass top humidor. I am getting impatient, and my cigars have been sitting in a tupperware box with a humi pillow thing for a couple of weeks now. Could I just place the cigars in the humi with the water filled shot glass to stabilize the humidity until I can afford a new humidor? Or would that be unwise?
Your cigars will be fine in the tupperware box -- especially since your humi is not holding a steady RH. If you place your cigars in the humidor now they will either get over humidified from the shot glass of water or, if you take the shot glass out then the cigars will dry out.

Fix your humidor and then put your cigars in it. Get get some aquarium grade for silicone sealant; seal around the glass and any other obvious areas (e.g., if there is a hole for a hygrometer, then seal around the hole).

Once you have resolved all of the leaks then your humidor will be able to do the job you need it to do. In the interim, the tupperware box is the best place for your cigars.

One thing you need to remember about this hobby: you need to be patient.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote