View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
DEZn00ts
What? I didn't catch that

First Name: Xavier
Trading: (0)
DEZn00ts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RH drops from 70-71 to 63-66 when opening Coolidor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Interesting. I wonder if my refrigerator takes that long to come back up to temp after I open it. Wait ... it has "active" refrigeration so when the temp drops the compressor kicks on and the whole refrigeration thing does it's .. thing fans moving air and all.

Beads are "passive" in that there are no mechanical parts just little pieces of silica or clay that like to be at a particular RH. Depending on how full your coolidor is will have a big impact on how long It takes to come back to your bead set point. Beads best and highest purpose IMHO is maintenance of RH vs humidification per se.

A totally full coolidor whos contents are at your desired RH will recover much faster than one with a couple boxes in it. Just a guess but yours is not very full?

Answer to your question - no its not harmful. If you are worried about it but cant control yourself either buy more cigars to fill it up and or get more beads to shorten the recovery cycle.

Alternatively - you can supplement your coolidor humidification with an active device like a cigar oasis. (I always used both)
We have a smart ass here huh? Just kidding... You're right it isn't full at all and I'm waiting until the end of the month to purchase the cigars that I want to put more into it. Yes, comparing mine to other coolidors I have seen, mine is a barren wasteland. I'm gonna check that out right now, actually have never heard anyone say anything about a cigar oasis.

Edit: That Cigar Oasis is right up my alley.