Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
OMG! That sounds fantastic. Any chance you can post your mojo recipe?
Sure, I use the recipe from "3 Guys From Miami Cook Cuban" with some additional ingredients.

Mojo With Oil
(my additions/notes are in italics)

INGREDIENTS:
3 heads garlic (Yes, heads. The whole bulb. All cloves peeled)
2 teaspoons salt (I think they were using table salt, for kosher salt, add one additional teaspoon)
1 teaspoon black peppercorns (I prefer fresh ground pepper)
1 1/2 cups sour orange juice
(In a pinch, use two parts orange to one part lemon and one part lime)
1 cup minced onion
2 teaspoons oregano
1 cup Spanish olive oil (I use what I have - sometimes it's Spanish, sometimes it's not)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (from
2 bay leaves, diced/crumbled fine

The mojo with oil marinade is best for chicken, duck, fish, and so on. The oil prevents the meat from losing fat and moisture.

Mash garlic, salt, and peppercorns into a paste, using a mortar and pestle. Stir in sour orange juice, onion, oregano, cumin and bay leaf. (Screw that, dump it all in a food processor or blender and let rip) Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or longer.

In a saucepan, heat olive oil to medium hot (approximately 220 degrees F) and remove from heat. Carefully whisk in the garlic-orange juice mixture (prepared above) until well blended. (Immersion blender works great here)

Marinade overnight, put pork on smoker with just briquettes or lump, no smoke wood. Do not discard marinade - place in sauepan, bring to boil for a moment, stirring constantly. Use this to spoon over the roast as it cooks. Rest of cooking directions are here
http://icuban.com/food/lechon_asado.html

Their recipe is for a ham but it works well with a shoulder/butt too.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote