Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #79
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Virginia/Perique (VaPer) Showdown

Here's a new blend that just came out......

Triple Play from G.L. Pease

Product Description from the Tin
Ripe red and bright flue-cured tobaccos are joined by piquant Acadian Perique and a balanced measure of smoky dark-fired kentucky. The leaf is pressed and matured in cakes before being cut into 2oz bars, resulting in a bold blend for Virginia and Perique fans. This all-American plug is a winning play, no matter how you slice it.

Tin Appearance
I love how Pease and C & D have the tobacco wrapped in cardboard layers inside the tin. It’s like opening a present at Christmas time. Upon opening this tin I was hit with a heavenly aroma. The tobacco was in a pressed brick in the middle of the tin with a couple of flakes lying on top (my second tin was a full solid brick). The thing that stands out with this brick compared to other cakes and crumble cakes is that you can see the whole tobacco leaves in there and it does not appear that there is a lot of “cutting down” of the leaves prior to pressing. I like this a lot. It almost appears like an plug of chewing tobacco back from the old days. Now I’m not going to bite off a chunk and start chewing, but I am going to put this on a cutting board and slice it up into flakes.

Cake Preparation
I cut this cake 2 ways from the original format. For half of the cake I sliced it into flakes that I slightly rubbed out for drying and packing purposes. For the other half, I sliced it as close to cube cut as I could get. After smoking both I found that I preferred the flake choice but it may be different for you.

Lighting
I dried this out a bit after rubbing it out not because it was overly moist but because I prefer my tobacco on the dryer side. This blend, to me, was very easy to light. The bigger pieces of tobacco took to the flame faster than most rubbed out flakes that I smoke. The initial aroma was very, very pleasant. It had a woody, nutty, and spicy aroma and taste initially.

Whole Bowl
It would be hard to describe this blend in parts throughout the whole smoking experience. This is because it remained consistent throughout the whole bowl. It was delicious. It reminded me a bit of C & D’s Night Train but this was better. Because this blend is still young there were times when certain tobacco components took over but not overly so. I believe with aging this blend will form together into a perfect harmony of flavors.

Overall
Not to use an old baseball term here but I cannot help it….Greg truly hit a homerun here. Most people liken Greg to be the master of Latakia but I think that he is going to turn some heads with the Perique fans with this one. Now I will state that this blend is a bit heavy on the nicotine so I definitely would not recommend it to a new smoker. However with that said, I don’t think that it is over the top by any means and it is a blend that I feel everyone will enjoy except for the diehard English tobacco smokers. All of the tobaccos used in this blend will only get much better with age so everyone be sure to stock up on this in your cellars to smoke for years into the future. This one debuts at spot #5. Not bad for a brand new blend.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
3) GL Pease Tribute
4) Escudo
5) GL Pease Triple Play
6) GL Pease Filmore
7) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
8) H & H AJ’s VaPer
9) Low Country’s Waccamaw
10) Peretti’s Park Square
11) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
12) H & H Rolando’s Own