5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
So Dave, Frank, Gerry, and Tom (and others): what are your two favorite support lifts for getting out of the hole?
Box Squats. A lot of them. Also with the heavier weight your form tends to crap out first.
Putting 315 on your back is just as good as squatting it sometimes. I know when I start to get into the uncharted weight range I usually try to stand out of the rack with it a week or two before I actually try to squat it. That way I am less concerned about how heavy it feels and more concerned about squatting with proper form.
I would replace leg presses with box squats after squatting. Lighter weights focus more on explosiveness out on the bottom. And ditch any hamstring work on leg day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
You ever have one of those nights where you come home from work and just crash? I fell asleep last night at about 9 and didn't wake till about 730 today...Dead tired..maybe the running + gym is catching up to me?
I get like that a lot. If you feel like its catching up with you I would recommend a few things. 1-2 times per week try to have a high calorie day. With your new level of activity you are probably not taking in the amount of nutrients that you should be. This is the most common thing I always see. Guys take on a new routine or start pushing themselves but continue to eat next to nothing, or still practice poor nutrition. Or take a week off and rest. Also some extra sleep doesnt ever hurt. The thing to watch is how you feel in the gym. If you are getting stronger or performing better every week than you are fine. Watch for signs of overtraining.

note - it could be the weather too, personally during the winter I have trouble staying up past 8.

Here are some articles on overtraining.
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/o.../aa062499a.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia33.htm

Last edited by BigFrank; 02-03-2009 at 08:15 AM.