Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #1053
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Just back from a leg day. Things are a little cloudy right now, which is good I guess. Was planning to rep out 225 again; but something came over me and I got curious. I just started back on squats a couple of weeks ago after a 2-2.5 month hiatus because of my shoulder injury. Before I got hurt, my 1RM was 315. So today went something like this (though I can't be positive about the details -- cloudy):

135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 7
275 x 3
285 x 2
295 x 2
315 x F (dropped to my knees ... big crash )
315 x F (got under it, stood there, knew I just didn't have it ... the intensity wasn't there)

The first 315 attempt was *very* close. I think I can hit it soon. It's clear from this, though, that there are 2 things I need to work on:

1. Explosiveness out of the hole (that's where I barely failed out on attempt #1)
2. Core stability (315 is harder for me to just hold up than it used to be)

Followed the squats up with several sets of stiff-legged deadlifts. Went to do some leg presses and my energy was simply shot -- 8 pies was a struggle (and that's my warmup weight). It had been over an hour at this point; so I called it a day. I'll probably take tomorrow "off" (just cardio).

So Dave, Frank, Gerry, and Tom (and others): what are your two favorite support lifts for getting out of the hole?