View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to make distilled water

Never purchased it, never used it. (yeah, I'm a heretic; it comes with old age and grumpiness, so I'm told)!

I use a Pur filter on my kitchen tap, and use that water for my humidification needs. Been using that way for near onto 5 years, no negative effects at all. And, I don't have to keep a jug sitting around that will be less than pure after the first time it's open. A news story I read yesterday says that a lot of bottled water (including some that is supposed to be distilled) is just as contaminated as non-bottled water. And, as soon as distilled water contacts the atmosphere, it will capture contaminates just like any other type of water.

From a practical standpoint, the humidity that comes out of plain old tap water as it sits and evaporates is just about the same as you get with forced evaporation via boiling and re-condensation through a distiller coil.

Pur (under a different name) makes the same filters that I have used for two decades while hiking and camping. They are highly efficient, and I use them anyway for my cooking needs, so the same filtered water has always served me well.

I'm not knocking those that feel they must have distilled water, but there are other alternatives out there just as efficient.

Kinda one of those issues where what-ever makes a person most comfortable is what they should do. Heck, there are plenty of guys out there that have to have the distilled water for their c-pap machines anyway, so it makes good sense to use the same bottle for cigar needs. Interestingly enough, though, my father has been using Pur filtered water in his CPAP for 10 years, and no clogs or residue build-ups have occurred. So who knows!