View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
LT Rich

Default Re: I'm a college student considering the military

Well, that is quite the choice, something you definitely do not want to jump into. I commissioned in 2004 as an infantry officer in the Army National Guard. Since 2004 I have deployed 2 times, and spent a total of 32 months on active duty.

I am currently in Afghanistan, the team leader of 15 +/- Soldiers embedded with an Afghan National Army Battalion (about 500 soldiers), training them on war fighting (and learning from them too!). I am near the border of Pakistan and our battle space is a mountain pass which the Taliban use to infiltrate Afghanistan. I have learned basic phrases in two languages (Dari and Pashtu), and made friends with Afghan soldiers and officers.

You would be hard pressed to find a civilian with no military experience who has stories and experiences to match what my team and I have. It is my view that you live life for experiences. If you don't experience amazing things, endure hardship, test yourself, etc; what have you really accomplished in life. I look forward to boring my kids and grandkids with mundane stories of my life which they no doubt could not care less about. (I'm only 28, but I like to plan ahead)

What made me join the military? I wanted to buy a motorcycle, and my mother said "not as long as she's paying for college". I solved that problem.

Why did I join the Army? A few reasons really. I talked to the Army and the Air Force, the Army ROTC instructors were a lot more down to earth, a lot more like me. Also, I wanted the challenge. I figured if I am going to join the military, I'm going to go all the way, Army Infantry.

Do I regret it? Keep in mind, I am writing this while sitting in the middle of nowhere Afghanistan; and still the answer is no. I, too, have missed Christmases, birthdays, etc, it is all worth it. The sense of pride, patriotism, and the bond that your form with the men (something that is unparalleled in any other walk of life) makes all the hardships, all the missed events, missing the wife and loved ones all worth it.

One of my Sergeants and I were talking about this very thing while on a patrol a few days ago. We were talking about how the bond between Soldiers who have gone into combat together is unlike any other friendship. There is a trust, an understanding, that forms between a small team while in combat that is not replicated anywhere else.

Should you join the military? Who the heck knows; I sure don't because I know nothing about you. I don't know what makes you tick. Are you a leader? Do you hate failure? Do you look forward to meeting challenges? You are obviously book smart, do you have common sense? Do you like responsibility? These are all things you need to ask yourself and be honest with the answers.

I know that joining the military has made me into a better man, a better husband. It has given me a perspective on life that I would not have gotten otherwise. Sure it has messed up things, made things harder. My civilian career is way behind schedule, my wife cries some nights when we talk on the phone because she is worried about me and misses me... It is not easy, but in the end it is worth it for me.

I will be happy to answer any questions about this you have, shoot me a PM.

LT

Last edited by LT Rich; 10-02-2009 at 05:58 AM.