View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #2739
Roger T
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Roger T is on a distinguished road
Default Cigars going bad - Polyglycol Propolene in humid solution

I buy cigars on line, and I've found some great deals (JR cigar, CI Cigars etc) and these were really great tasting smokes. But after about 6 mo. (I've got quite a few in my humidor) the great tasting ones become pretty vial tasting and unsmokable. I use a mixture of Propoline Glycol and distled water (1 to 5 parts water) in the humidification bars, to prevent mold, and wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also have left the celophane sleeves on them, and am told that isn't a good idea either. Is there just a time limit on how long you can keep your sticks in limbo even if the humidity is maintained before they develop this vial tasting charictaristic? After a while does the oil just turn bad or dry out etc...I'm at a total loss here.

My humidor is the kind with 8 pull-out drawers and a plastic window type front opening door on hinges that doesn't really have a tight sealing door. I'm told that this is not a good type humidor for maintaining a proper level of humidificaiton, but the digintal humidity meeter says it's alwyas about 60 - 65%.

THEN...I have gone for periods of a week without lighting up, so I wonder if it's just my taste buds have gotten too sensitive without smoking.
Roger T is offline   Reply With Quote