Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road
Default 1953 GE Freezer converted to "A" Humidor

So about a year ago I decided to convert an old freezer or frideg to a humidor. I haden't been able to find one in good shape for a decent price until about a month ago when I purchased a 1953 GE upright freezer. This thing is huge and very heavy. I have wanted to convert one for a long time and wasn't sure how difficult it was going to be but it sounded sweet and I really wanted something unique that you can't just go and buy from somewhere.

I was going to start this thread a few weeks ago when I stripped the paint and got it ready by guting the interior but I decided to wait until I had it finished because I know how impatient you all are with pictures. Just kidding. I worked on it a little bit and then I had to get back to work so I stopped working on it until three days ago when I took off a few days from work and go the materials to finish the humidor.

The interior is lined with 1/4" spanish cedar, and the shelves are 3/4" spanish cedar. The fronts of all of the shelves are made of Purple Heart that has been oiled but not stained. I like the natural look of the wood. All of the shelves and the singles drawrs are on 100lb ball bearing full extension slide outs. I wanted to make it easier to access everything in the humidor.

The outside of the humidor is Flat black with white accent peices. I left all of the origional chrome on the freezer and I think that It turned out very good. The humidification system is one of Bob's from aristocrat humidors the "set and forget systems" I thought that It would be worth the money to buy one of his systems for this unit. So without further delay I will start to post pictures of my little project.

I guess the files are too big Im going to have to upload them to Photobucket.com and then you all can see them there. I wish that I could put them on the page but I dont know how to make them smaller so that they will fit.

Here are some photos taken from my phone since on ones from my camera are too big. I will post the link to photobucket where all the photos from start to finish are at once they finish uploading and I tag them all. I hope you guys and gals like what I have done.

Name:  black.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  2.8 KB

Name:  cedar lined.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  3.3 KB

Name:  partial finish.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  3.0 KB

Name:  no shelves.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  3.7 KB