Thread: Tin vs Bulk
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tin vs Bulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotacotuesday View Post
I was on pipesandcigars.com looking at some dunhill nightcap. I saw they sell 1.75oz tins for $9 and change. On the same site, you can get the same stuff for $3 per oz. So why would one pay $9 for 1.75oz when they can get 3oz for the same price? Am i missing something?
Why buy the tin? Tobacco ages (just like fine wine) in a controlled environment - that is - no new air added to it once it is sealed. Just like wine with higher tannin ages better, so Virginias age the best. But, even an English like Nighcap gets better with age.

Of course, you might be able to get similar/or even the same aging benefits by sealing up the bulk tobacco in mason jars. But again, once they are sealed, they need to remain that way.

This might raise the question of, why the higher cost for the tinned version? Take a pound of tobacco, put it in a plastic or mylar bag and seal it up. OR... measure out 1.75 ounces (by the way, 2 grams), and then factor in the tin and all the stuff (if you have ever seen what is in the tin, there is a specific paper, nicely folded that the tobacco goes into, as that is folded back over the top, there is a special type "cardboard" that goes between the tobacco, the over-the-top-folds, and then then tin cover.

Simply put, tinning tobacco has much greater overhead costs that show up in the overall price per tin.

Personally, I like to jar my own - unless I can find a special deal on certain tins, then they are definitely worth it.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.