Thread: Beef Jerky
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #85
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beef Jerky

This thread got me to thinking last week so I made the plunge. 5 lbs of London broil, semi-frozen sliced into long, thin, 1-3 mm wide strips, marinated overnight. I pat-dried the meat, allowed 2 hours to air dry on cookie racks then dried it in the oven at 120-140F for 8 hours. Came out perfect. The trick was to turn the oven on for a minute of two with the door cracked open about an inch. Turn the oven off and allow the heat and vapor to vent from the oven. I think I turned it on once an hour throughout the day. I didn't want to cook it, just barely heat ever-so-slightly to help the dehydration along. No pictures, but my kids can't get enough. Next time marinate longer than 8 hours. It wasn't salty enough (for me) and I'd like more sweetness. Barely spicy, also. Thanks for the thread, Peter!

1/2 C Worcestershire
1/4 C Soy Sauce
2 t onion and garlic powders
2 t chili powder
2 t black pepper
1 T brown sugar
1 t mustard powder
2 T Franks hot sauce
1/2 t red pepper