Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxpuff View Post
Hey Adam...if you like smoked eggs...you have got to try this recipe for smoked egg salad...it's amazing...and super simple.

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_de...6&EpisodeID=35

I've done it with 6 eggs instead of 4...and 1 tsp of mayo per egg. And make sure the eggs are dry before smoking them.
Thanks Luke, I've actually thought about doing the eggs that way before, pre-boiled until they are almost fully cooked, then peeled and onto the grill to finish, but never bothered to try it.

I'm not really a big fan of egg salad or hard boiled eggs though, just once in a while.

Here's the deal behind the egg when I'm smoking peppers - it started out as a cheap, easy, foodsafe way for me to monitor how much smoke I was laying down. I needed something that would give me an indicator by changing color as I cooked and a white egg was the best thing I could think of at the time. Lots of surface area for smoke to deposit, so I could watch the color change, if it was darkening too fast and getting sticky when I put my finger on it, I was laying down too much smoke too fast, and would be at risk for very bitter peppers (plum wood can be kind of quirky). If it had runs in the deposits, then it meant things were running moist in the cook chamber and it was going to take awhile for the chilis to dry. If it split early on, I was running too hot too fast (this was before I bothered to add temp gauges to my pits). And so on... There was no worry about it contaminating the peppers or the pit since it was a piece of food that didn't splatter or drip. I used to just leave the thing in the entire cook and throw it away when I was done. Once I got the hang of it, I started pulling the thing out after about an hour and a half and using it as a snack with what was probably my fourth or fifth beer...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote