View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #1013
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

Unfortunately, no reef tank yet for me. It looks like I will have to get a few other projects cleared out before taking on that one. Maybe later this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
WOW, long time no active. Steve, I guess you already bought or didn't buy your cube tank, but I could
never have put it more aptly than JeffT72 anyway...those tanks try to accomplish on a small scale
what most successful people find new and different ways to make HUGE. its been said a thousand times,
you need to find ways to get more water into your system so that little things don't cause big shocks.
I always had a big tank and thought maybe I should go down to a 40. So I had a 29 gallon sump and
thought I was good. But then I thought I would go down even smaller and had a 30 with the 29 sump and
it was a DISASTER. Granted it was brought on by two things, neglect and poor rock purchases. I had
all the kits to test things, but thought I was a good enough aquarist to use dead reckoning. If I ever
do it again, and I hope to god I don't, but it's back to 50+ at a minimum with a 40 gallon sump at a minimum.
Things MIGHT have worked out better, but I got some rock from a company and everyone who had bought it
before me was complaining about Aiptasia anemones. I thought I could "out-keep" those people and use
clean water and good husbandry to combat the anemones. But they took over, I got angry, and I got out
of the game.

You MIGHT be able to do a fish only tank or a coral only tank, but outside of that, cubes are a no-no IMO.
Fish are bad for coral tanks in small formats.