Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Beer Can Chicken

Sunday at the HERF I served my latest recipe for beer can chicken and it seemed to go over well so I'll post my process

I took 2 whole chickens (same if you do just 1) and cleaned out the innards then washed the birds off in the sink. I then brined them over night in a pot filled with a mix of 1 cup of ionized sea salt per gallon of water.

The next day I preheated the grill to 350. We (I say we because Matt did most of the labor) then rubbed the birds down with '3 Beer BBQ Rub' (you can use your favorite) and then placed them on the cans. The cans were filled with a mix of beer, rub, and my homemade vinegar based bbq sauce. The cans were put on chicken stands that you can pick up at most any place grilling accessories are sold. Then I placed a quartered onion in the neck of the bird.

The chickens were then set upright on the grill and smoked for a few hours until the breast temp reached close to 170. I maintained the cooking temp at 350-375.

They turned out very good and served them with Matt's Habenero Cole Slaw as well as other various sides. These may have been the best beer can chickens I've made to date.

awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote