View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #36
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Finally, the BIG GREEN EGG IS SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
If you had a WSM, you could use the minion method and cook for 12+ hours without having to add more. With the BGE, I don't know.

To light, I recommend a charcoal chimney. You'll never go back any other way.
I use the minion method. Also, if I am doing a long cook, I will completely clean out the BGE and take the time to stack the charcoal right with the biggest pieces at the bottom.

Chimneys are hard for me with a BGE since you have to dump it down so deep. I always get burned. I get the strike-a-fire starters and they work fantastic. They are the same as the BGE starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
The biggest issue I've had with mine has been how long it takes to get to temp. Avg 35-40 minutes. I've heard that parafin starters are good as well.

How the meat turn out? ?
35-40 mins sounds like a long time. are you talking about stabilizing for a long cook or just firing it u for everyday cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Unreal. Only negative was that out of 9.5 lbs, I only had one sandwich and a few bites of another. The rest went faster than I could blink. It was a huge hit and everyone loved it. Plan on doing another one sooner than later, than's for sure. Brent's help through email leading up to the cook was invaluable. Can't wait to fire this bad boy up again. Thinking of doing steaks next, and possibly a prime rib around Christmas, but I'm sure there will be plenty cooked between now and XMas, lol.
OH YEAH!!! Congrats on the first cook. Looks like it went very well. wait until you put the plate setter on and cook a pizza on a stone.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote