Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

First Name: Dave
Trading: (35)
HUpmann
DAFU will become famous soon enoughDAFU will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BlindReview participants

Smoked cigar #3 on the deck after supper with a pour of Four Roses Small Batch.

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...
Robusto sized medium brown and silky smooth. Looks good.

Score for aesthetics: 4

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?
Nicely rolled, maybe a little spongy. Not much of a cold aroma.
Score for Pre-light construction: 3.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?
Cigar smoked well, plenty of smoke with white ash. No relights necessary. A little hot at the end.

Score for post-light construction: 4

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?
Started out mild with slightly sweet floral notes on the retrohale.
4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3:
Picked up a little strength with hay replacing the floral notes. Full medium bodied now.
4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3:
Some of the sweet floral notes returning with some spicyness. Not quite a nubber but pleasant enough. Guessing Dominican and/or Nicaraguan blend.
Score for flavor and strength: 3.5

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh?
Probably the favorite aspect of the smoke. Particularly the sweet floral and creamy notes. A little milder in flavor than what I usually smoke but OK for a change of pace.
Score for aftertaste: 4

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent?
Light floral aroma to my senses. Not offensive in any way.
Score for aroma: 4

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score.
Paired this cigar with a pour of Four Roses Small Batch and it complemented the sweet floral nose of the bourbon. I did enjoy it but probably not a cigar I would purchase. Maybe because I've been smoking 99% Habanos for awhile.
Overall score for the cigar: 3.5

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:
I'd recommend this cigar if you're looking for a light but flavorful NC.
Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200502_184217_1588468216872[1231].jpg (98.6 KB, 406 views)