Thread: Pumpkin Ales
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pumpkin Ales

I wait all year for October to come around, and the pumpkin beer to start flowing.

My favorites:

(1) Southern Tier Pumking - First time I've had this one. In 6 years of trying every pumpkin ale I could find, this is the first time I've found a beer to overthrow the reigning champ (Post Road). Damn shame it's so hard to find. Smooth, creamy, sweet and spicy. I generally hate sweet beer, but this was perfection in a glass for me. 10% ABV if I remember right.
(2) Post Road Pumpkin Ale - First pumpkin ale I ever had, and until Pumking came along, it was my favorite. It's become much easier to find in the last 5 or 6 yrs, and that's a good thing. Strong on the spices, and not sweet, exactly what I'm looking for.
(2) Buffalo bill Pumpkin Ale - Very similar to Post Road. Haven't had them side-by-side, but they're close enough I can't choose a favorite between the two. Couldn't find this one this year.
(4) Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Something a little different. Little more body to this beer, still prominent on the spices though, also not the easiest one to find.

I agree with your tasting notes for the beers you listed. I generally prefer stronger pumpkin pie spice flavors in my pumpkin beer, the ones you mentioned are a little too subtle for me (except the Shipyard, as you noted).

For a surprise, try Budweiser's Jack. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Not a top ranking pumpkin beer, but very nice considering the source. I like it more than Blue Moon Pumpkin.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote