View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #57
EEE

Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

ok, I'm back. I was down in Miami and my Verizon service was pretty shotty so I'm giving my reviews now.

I smoked #5, 6 & 10 - NOT in chronolgoical order as I smoked #10 Wed night, #5 Thur night and #6 on Saturday.

Pre-light. Nice. Very nutty - in between the sweetness of almonds and the tang of walnuts. My taste bud memory tells me I have smoked this cigar before.

Initial draw - nice construction, easy flow but not loose. Aroma is quite pleasant. Taste is a little bland but that doesn't hurt anything.

1st third - I find that either the cigar is bitter, the Yuengling is bitter or the mixture of the two is bitter - either way, I've got a bitter taste going on. I decide to hold off on drinking any more of my beer and see where this leads.

2nd third - It was the mixture. Now I've got a nice flow of almost syrup sweetness going - not the Aunt Jamima too rich for human consumption syrup, but the real maple syrup from the NorthEast. MMmmmm...

Final third - the sweetness doesn't leave but it has mellowed out and I am just kicked back looking over the ocean enjoying the remaining parts of this cigar. I really wish I had another one as I'm smoking it so I could go light it up. The aroma from the cigar lingers in the patio and it is a great smell.

I look forward to hearing what this cigar is. The construction, burn and flavor on this is definitely worth looking into.

Above average!

-----------------------------------------------------

I know you had asked me to drink this with coffee, but I don't drink coffee. I initially was going to drink some dark tea but because I was away from home I decided the next best thing would be a Guinness. As close to coffee as I can come.

Pre-draw - well, you instantly know why he wants you to drink it with coffee, as it tastes the way coffee smells (which I thoroughly enjoy sometimes). This had that "bite" taste. I see that Andy said bitter, which I could call it as well - but my initial reaction was "bite".

1st Third: Definitely coffee. In fact, this does go well with the Guinness. My senses are so set on the coffee taste that I get nothing else out of this section.

2nd Third: The coffee is subdued and here comes the bakers chocolate that I got from one of my previous tastings. Guinnesss still goes well with these profiles. I had one side run on me pretty good and it required a touch-up but nothing to take away from the cigar.

Final Third: I need to purge a couple of times as now I get the bitterness. It almost tastes like ash in my mouth. I don't like it - but thankfully I'm on another Guinness and am feeling good about being in Miami.

This was barely an average cigar. If it wasn't for the last third it would be slightly above average. Maybe I smoked it too fast. I'd definitely give it another shot.

-------------------------------------------

This was the first cigar I smoked in Miami - and it was humid as hell with no wind whatsoever. I can't give a respectable review on this as I tried with all my might to keep it lit but the humidity (which you could literally see build on the patio railing) drenched this stick. I smoked it for roughly 30 minutes but got nothing out of it except a headache from acting like I was a hooker about to get paid double my rate.

I want to be honest about the reviews and not try to say it was because of the construction of the cigar as I feel that this scenario would have played out with any of the sticks. I just happened to grab that one as I was heading out to smoke.

So, I don't have anything good, bad, or indifferent to say about this stick -- except it can't stand up to 90+% humidity.

I hope to get the rest of your sticks done this week.