View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #42
EEE

Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

couldn't smoke the other night, so I was out this morning smoking

Churchill - dark wrapper (I'd say maduro but there was zero sweetness in this stick)

I was initially worried about this cigar. I cut it and the wrapper split on me. Construction was good overall though - with the perfect amount of give on the thumb squeeze.

Pre-Light - little to no noticeable flavor.

Initial light - two very distinct flavors jump out instantly. wood and roasted apple. I am admittedly not one to find more than 10-12 flavors while smoking cigars, and that includes "smokey, nicotine, et al". I don't get the sea salt covered with sprinkles of nutmeg and rosemary, but every once in a while, like in this instance, I will get something like roasted apple. I'm always pleasantly surprised by my taste buds (and the cigar) when this happens.

The ash on this cigar is weak - didn't ever stay on longer than a 1/4 inch, at most. Mixed between dark grey and pure white. Odd.

second 3rd - cigar goes blank. No flavor at all - just smoke. Weird. But, even more weird is that the aftertaste in my mouth is unquestionably burnt coffee.

Last 3rd - the aroma is nice, very comfortable to the senses - like sitting in a smoking lounge with one or two people there, who are friends, and just relaxing. I enjoyed the aroma more than the bland, non-existant taste.

To note, I'm a notoriously slow smoker. A churchill can easily last 2.5 hours for me. This cigar was finished within 1.25 hours. It never got hot, and the burn stayed even, but it smoked really fast.

Overall I don't envision smoking this cigar more than out fishing or camping and am more interested in enjoying the conversation of friends than paying attention to what I'm smoking.

rating = slightly below average to average